Thursday, November 18, 2010

Epiphany

Today was really relaxing--since all my work is due on Wednesday, and I don't get my next assignments until Thursday night, Thursdays and Fridays generally are very free days for me. I started re-reading Picture of Dorian Gray for my Victorian lit class, and basically re-discovered my love for Oscar Wilde. I think I could read that novel every day for the rest of my life, and I would still be unsatisfied with my understanding of the text. It's one of the few books where every quotation can be seriously considered before moving on with the rest of the story. Anyways, I hopped around different cafes reading, and I tried a mocha again. This time, I wasn't as jittery, but I've found that it's because I ordered a small. Last time I got a medium, which has two espresso shots. No wonder I went crazy previously.

Last night, I finally had the chance to go to formal hall at Magdalen. It was a lot briefer than expected. Before you eat, the professors/tutors at high table stand up and mutter something in Latin, which my religious studies friends told me was something involving the father, son, and the holy ghost. Andrew and I were convinced that we participated in some cult ritual and that there would be some sacrifice later on. Still waiting to hear back to see if we got into Corpus formal hall, which, because it only happens once a week, is a lot more highly attended, so I think it should be more fun.

No tutorial paper due this week, so you can expect a lot more posts about older trips, such as Bath and Cambridge. I'm working on a presentation that counts for a double paper--it's 40-45 minutes long, and I'll be researching the relationship between obesity and inflammation, which sounds pretty cool. "I'm not fat, I'm just inflamed!" Ha....ha?

I'll leave with a quotation from Oscar Wilde (love this man): "Men marry because they are tired; women marry because they are curious. Both are disappointed."

Delivery from anonymous sender!

No comments:

Post a Comment